Southern Squash is a beloved Southern staple that combines the freshness of summer squash with a medley of aromatic spices. This savory dish is a testament to the South’s culinary prowess, and it’s a must-try for anyone looking to savor the taste of Southern comfort food. Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a beginner in the kitchen, our step-by-step guide will ensure your Southern Squash dish turns out perfectly every time.
To get started with our Southern Squash recipe, gather the following ingredients:
|Yellow squash (sliced)||3 lbs|
|Vidalia onion (chopped)||½ cup|
|Cream of chicken soup||10.5 ounces|
|Grated cheddar cheese||8 ounces|
|Black pepper||½ teaspoon|
|Ritz crackers (sleeves)||2 sleeves|
|Melted butter||1 stick|
- Preheat the Oven: Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F.
- Prepare the Squash: Wash the yellow squash and slice it into small medallions. If the squash is large, you can also cut it into small pieces. Smaller squash tends to be more tender, making them a great choice for this dish. Place the sliced squash in a large mixing bowl.
- Prepare the Filling: In another bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, egg, grated cheddar cheese, chopped Vidalia onion, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Mix these ingredients until they are well blended.
- Combine Squash and Filling: Pour the creamy filling mixture over the sliced squash in the large bowl. Stir the mixture until the squash is evenly coated with the filling.
- Prepare the Cracker Topping: Crush the Ritz crackers (you can do this by placing them in a resealable plastic bag and using a rolling pin or meat tenderizer). Place the crushed crackers in a separate bowl. Melt the stick of butter in the microwave, then stir it into the crushed crackers until they become moist.
- Assemble and Bake: Transfer the squash and filling mixture into a baking dish. Sprinkle the buttery cracker topping evenly over the casserole.
- Bake to Perfection: Place the casserole in the preheated oven and bake at 350°F. It typically takes about 45-50 minutes for the top to become bubbly and golden. To prevent the crackers from burning, cover the casserole with foil for the first 30 minutes of baking. Then, uncover it and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Once your Southern Squash casserole is out of the oven, let it cool for a few minutes before serving. This dish embodies the essence of Southern comfort food and is sure to be a hit at any gathering. Enjoy!
In conclusion, this Southern Squash recipe combines the freshness of yellow squash with the creamy richness of cheddar cheese and a delightful buttery cracker topping. It’s a dish that brings the flavors of the South to your table and is perfect for any occasion. So, why wait? Gather the ingredients and treat yourself to a taste of Southern comfort with this delicious Southern Squash casserole.