In the world of comfort food, few dishes can rival the creamy, cheesy goodness of old-fashioned macaroni and cheese. This classic dish has been a favorite for generations, and for good reason. It’s simple to make, incredibly satisfying, and brings back fond memories of childhood family dinners. In this article, we’ll guide you through the steps of crafting your own delectable mac and cheese from scratch. From boiling the pasta to baking it to perfection, we’ve got you covered.
Before we dive into the cooking process, let’s take a look at the ingredients you’ll need:
|Dry pasta||3 cups|
|Salted butter||4 tsp|
|Evaporated milk||2 cans (12 oz / 370 ml)|
|Milk of your choice||1/3 cup|
|Garlic salt||1/4 teaspoon|
|Grated cheddar cheese||4 cups|
|Grated mozzarella cheese||2 cups|
Now that you have all the ingredients ready, let’s move on to the cooking process.
1. Boil the Pasta
The first step in creating a delightful mac and cheese dish is to boil the pasta. Follow these instructions:
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Add a pinch of salt to the boiling water.
- Carefully add the dry pasta.
- Cook the pasta until it reaches the al dente stage.
- Once done, drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
2. Add the Butter
To infuse the pasta with a rich, buttery flavor, follow these steps:
- Add the 4 teaspoons of salted butter to the drained pasta.
- Stir the pasta and butter together until the butter melts completely.
- Set the pot aside for the moment.
3. Prepare the Cheese and Milk Mixture
Now, let’s create the creamy cheese and milk mixture that will make your mac and cheese irresistible:
- In a large bowl, combine the two cans of evaporated milk, 1/3 cup of your chosen milk, two large eggs, and 1/4 teaspoon of garlic salt.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly until well combined.
In a separate bowl, combine the 4 cups of grated cheddar cheese and 2 cups of grated mozzarella cheese.
4. Assemble the Mac and Cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease a 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
- Start by placing a third of the cooked pasta into the greased dish.
- Follow with a layer of a third of the cheese mixture.
- Repeat this layering process until all the pasta and cheese are used up.
5. Bake to Perfection
- Pour the milk mixture evenly over the assembled pasta and cheese layers.
- Sprinkle the top with a teaspoon of paprika for that extra flavor and color.
- Place the baking dish in your preheated oven.
Bake your macaroni and cheese in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until it’s golden and bubbling. The cheese should be perfectly melted, and the top slightly crispy.
In this article, we’ve shared a timeless recipe for old-fashioned macaroni and cheese. This homemade dish is a comfort food classic that never goes out of style. By following these simple steps, you can recreate the magic of mac and cheese in your own kitchen. Whether it’s a family dinner or a solo indulgence, this dish is sure to satisfy your cravings.