I was thinking of the National Cornbread Festival in South Pitsburgh, Tennessee today so I decided to post my recipe for Red Beans and Cornbread!
Christy Jordan the founder of Southern Plate has judged the Cornbread Festival in the past and I know she always looked forward to it.. It’s so much fun tasting all of the wonderful recipes home cooks like you have come up with. If you haven’t considered entering a recipe, I hope you will. It’s easy to do and when it starts up again I hope you will consider it.
- 1 Package Martha White Sweet Cornbread Mix plus ingredients on pkg to make it
- 2 cups chopped polish sausage
- 16 ounce can red beans undrained (Can substitute kidney beans)
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes undrained
- 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon Season All Seasoned Salt*
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder*
In iron (or regular) skillet, brown sausage over medium heat. Add beans, tomatoes, and chilies, and spices. Stir.
Bring just to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer about ten minutes, or until thickened.
Prepare cornbread mix according to package directions. Pour mix over top of skillet. Bake at 400 for 17-20 minutes, or until lightly golden on top.