- 2 top cut hot dog buns
- 4 strips thick cut bacon
- 2 breakfast sausage links
- 1 russet potato
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese your preference!
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- chopped chives for garnish
INSTRUCTIONSMake the bacon:
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lay out the bacon strips and bake for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, extract the grease from the tray, flip the strips and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the bacon has reached your desired crispness. Set aside.
Now the potatoes:
- Slice the sides of the potato as if you were trying to remove just the skin (there should be a skinless potato in a rectangular shape left over). Cut into small cubes (think home fry size)
- Fill a pot of water and add the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. While the potatoes cook, add 2 tablespoons of butter to a large frying pan or skillet on medium high heat.
- When the butter is foaming, add the olive oil. Drain the potatoes, and add them to the frying pan. Cook without moving for about 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, toss them around in the frying pan and continue to cook until potatoes are golden brown and crispy.
Fry up the sausage:
- Fry the sausages on a pan until they are crispy (about 3 minutes each side). Set them aside.
Whip up some eggs:
- Crack two eggs into a bowl and whisk until you have a smooth consistency. Add shredded cheese, season with salt and pepper and mix again*.
- Add the butter to a medium pan. When the butter is foaming, add the egg mixture. The key to moist eggs is to continue to mix while on the heat, making sure the eggs nor the cheese sticks to the pan. Continue to mix for about 2 minutes.
- * As an alternative to the scrambled eggs, you can fry an egg for each dog instead, melt the cheese on top once cooked.
Make the French toast buns:
- In a shallow bowl, combine 4 eggs with heavy cream and mix well. Dip each side of the hot dog buns in the mixture letting as much of it drip off.
- Add the buns to a medium pan and fry each side of the hot dog bun until its golden brown. Set aside.
Assembling the Breakfast Dogs:
- Gently pull open the buns making sure not to split them in half. Add two strips of bacon to the inside of each. While holding the inside open, add enough potatoes to fill the interior. Place a sausage on top of the potatoes, followed by some of the cheesy eggs. Garnish with chopped chives, enjoy!